Wednesday 28 December 2011

Hardware and Configuration

So in my first post I said I wouldn't go into how to connect and configure your hardware device in order to allow you to start recording your guitar/bass on your computer...well I've changed my mind so here goes nothing.

First of all, I purchased a Line 6 product called Toneport UX1. It's a very simple interface, which allows you to connect a guitar/bass and a microphone.



The set up is simple.

Guitar to Toneport
Toneport to PC (via USB)

It really is as easy as that. But don't get frustrated when we get into the next part.

Configuring your DAW (digital audio workstation) to allow your device to work within the software.

I seem to recall having a hard time getting things to work properly right out of the box so here's how it should work best for you.

Install your devices drivers on your computer and restart your machine.

To see instructions for DAW's other than Reaper please refer to this user manual:

http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a060072153e747a739e447303/application/pdf/GearBox%203.5%20and%20later%20Recording%20Setup%20Guide%20%28Rev%20A%29%20-%20English.pdf

Once you've restarted your machine, fire up Reaper. In Reaper, click on Options from the menu at the top, and select Preferences. From here you'll see a big navigation tree on the left hand column and a bunch of information on the right. To make sure your device is working properly, you want to go to the Audio section on the left hand side, and select Device.

In that menu, you have a drop down for the type of Audio Device you want to select/configure. Click on the drop down menu and select ASIO. From here you'll want to look right underneath that menu and see the ASIO Driver menu. Click on it, and select the option that has your devices name in it. My set up looks like this:


Use the same options as I have in my configuration and you should be running smoothly. For issues with delayed sound, or compatibility issues, please email me or leave a comment and I'll contact you to help.

Thanks for reading,

JFoBTQ

2 comments:

  1. how do you get your tone? mine sounds very bad and i dont know how to make them better

    ReplyDelete